Principal funding agencies
BRIC NS is funded through the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Strategy for Patient-Oriented Research (SPOR) Network in Primary and Integrated Health Care Innovations.
Research Nova Scotia has partnered with CIHR and BRIC NS to provide half of the monies required to operate the Nova Scotia network.
Operational support is provided by the Department of Health and Wellness, the Nova Scotia Health Authority and the Dalhousie University Department of Family Medicine.
Matching funds and inter-provincial collaborators
In order to receive funding from CIHR and NSHRF, projects put forward through BRIC NS must involve collaborators from at least one other province and must secure matching funds from another non-federal government funding agency. These could include universities, hospitals and research institutes, disease-specific organizations, and private philanthropic foundations, among others.
BRIC NS is one of 11 Primary and Integrated Health Care Innovation Networks across the country. These networks work together, in order to learn from each other by:
- exploring and comparing innovations across provinces
- determining how innovations that are successful in one province could be scaled and/or adapted in another province
- evaluating, refining and promoting successful innovations more broadly across the country
The goal of this “network of networks” approach is to ensure the efficient use of health research resources, to produce meaningful and cost-effective improvements in health care and population health nationwide.
Learn about other Primary and Integrated Health Care Innovation Networks:
- British Columbia SPOR PCRN
- Alberta SPOR PIHCIN
- Saskatchewan SPOR PIHCI Network
- Manitoba SPOR PIHCI Network
- BeACCoN – Better Access and Care for Complex Needs (Ontario)
- Réseau 1 (Quebec PIHCI Network)
- New Brunswick SPOR Network in Primary and Integrated Community Care
- Prince Edward Island Primary and Integrated Health Care Innovations Network
- Primary Healthcare Research and Integration to Improve Health System Efficiency (PRIIME) Network (Newfoundland)
- Northern SPOR Primary and Integrated Health Care Network (Northwest Territories) Email