BRIC NS was proud to host the recipients of the 2019 Student Research Award at a reception on September 17th.
BRIC NS 2019 Student Research Award Winners (L-R): Julia Rodgers, Alicia Grant-Singh, Brittany Barber, Nicole MacKenzie (Not pictured: Leah Carrier)
The award is intended to provide financial support to graduate students undertaking health-related research project that addresses BRIC NS priorities. This year, applications were received through Research Nova Scotia’s Scotia Scholar Award program. Five students received the award in 2019.
Projects were awarded based on their relevance and potential impact on primary health care, particularly concerning BRIC NS’s goals and priority areas. Awards were also assessed based on the quality and feasibility of their approach.
The successful projects included:
- “Context matters: A mixed-methods approach to identify how social determinants influence access to primary health care for patients with complex needs” – Brittany Barber (PhD in Health Candidate; supervisors George Kephart and Daniel Rainham)
- “Opioid substitution treatment in primary care: Perspectives of people who use substances and primary care providers” – Alicia Grant-Singh (MA in Health Promotion Candidate, supervisor Lois Jackson)
- “Developing a Mixed Model of Patient-Oriented/Public Engagement Practices in Nova Scotia” – Julia Rodgers (PhD in Political Science Candidate, supervisor Katherine Fierlbeck)
- “Increasing parents’ vaccine acceptance and uptake by improving pain management for children” – Nicole MacKenzie (PhD in Clinical Psychology, supervisor Christine Chambers)
- “The impact of cultural connectedness on mental wellness in rural Mi’kmaq and urban indigenous children and youth” – Leah Carrier (not pictured; PhD in Nursing Candidate, supervisors Margot Latimer and Amy Bombay)
Along with their award, recipients and other students will be presenting their completed or in-progress research as part of the BRIC NS Student Seminar Series.
For more information on BRIC NS initiatives, please e-mail email@example.com.